Friday, March 27, 2009

Shane McConkey Fundraiser

I just read that Shane McConkey was killed in an accident yesterday while filming with Matchstick Productions in Italy. This guy defined what it meant to be a big mountain skier and helped pioneer much of the modern ski technology we now take for granted. I've watched Claim no less than 3 times in the past week, with Shane's segment getting viewed multiple times in each showing.

Monday morning while skiing at Brighton I had Jukebox Hero in my head the whole time which is the soundtrack to his segment...

While I never met Shane in person, knowing he left behind a wife and young daughter, not to mention innumerable close friends and family, fills me with a desire to do something to help. Adam Barker, a local Utah photographer with close ties to the ski industry, is donating all proceeds from the sale of his fine art ski poster to the McConkey family. You can buy a copy here, or visit Adam's website for more information.

Please remember to leave a note in the PayPal transaction stating it is for the McConkey fundraiser. Or, if you forget to do that (like me!), send Adam an email (his email address is displayed on your order confirmation).

I just bought a poster and hope all of my readers will too. My thoughts and prayers go out to Shane's wife Sherry and daughter Ayla.

No comments: