Monday, May 28, 2007

ICUP #5: Draper Stan Crane Memorial


I was pretty nervous about racing today, probably due to the amount of effort I'd put into pre-riding the course. I didn't feel that great during my warm-up but figured I'd give it some gas at the line since the family was spectating. I lined up in the big ring and led up the road and down onto the course. That was cool and seeing me in first position my kids were sure I'd won the race! This was by far my best start in my 3 races which is funny 'cause I probably warmed up the least for this one. It didn't take long to hit the stragglers of the Clydesdale group which kinda sucked but as long as I keep racing Beginner I figure it's my problem to deal with. I lost a few positions on the first section of dirt road and lost a few more as we turned onto the main climb. Amazingly I was able to gain time on the downs and was able to pass a few of the guys who had dropped me on the climb. Unfortunately, it was hard to maintain gaps due to the slower riders we encountered in the tight singletrack. Passing where possible, I was able to sneak by one other guy in my group on the grassy section along Highland. Not wanting to give up any spots I big-ringed the final section of singletrack and up the dirt road. Overall I felt good about my ride as I really only gave up time on the climbs. Not sure what to do about that other than trying to drop 10 pounds this winter... So I ended up 6th out of 17 racers in my category and got a sweet green ribbon that is now hanging in my son's room. I'd really like to place in the top 3 before moving to Sport but if that doesn't happen in the next race or two I'll probably make the move anyway.

Results are posted here.

I'm not sure if I'll be racing at Sundance next Saturday as I'm pretty beat and the following weekend I'm thinking of doing the Sugarhouse Crit. I'll take a couple of days off and make a decision later in the week.

Oh yeah, I asked Bryson if RB was in the house only to discover he had opted to stay home. Apparently both Bryson and Art had bikes available for him to use but after racing on the pavement Saturday he gave the dirt a pass. Bummer. I was looking forward to watching the tall man rip it up.

3 comments:

Piotrek said...

Were you sitting at the top of the last climb (last turn) watching the single speeds finish? I was there taking some pics.

UtRider said...

Yep, that's where we were. Did you take any pictures of us? :)

Piotrek said...

I recognized you from the picture. I don't think I took any of you. My wife and I walked 2 miles each way so we didn't hand around for too long. I think you were sitting on a rock and we were right behind you.