Saturday, September 29, 2007

What Fall?

So this is my second season of mountain biking and just like last year it looks like my fall riding is already coming to an end. Everybody says that fall is the best time to ride a mountain bike in Utah but based on my experience I'd have to disagree. Sure, the lower elevation trails will be rideable for another 1-2 months but cruising Corner Canyon in Draper, Yellow Fork in Herriman, the BST in Salt Lake or Lambert Park in Alpine - in my opinion - doesn't equal the best riding of the year. No, for me the best riding would be Mid Mountain, upper Millcreek, Blackhawk or the Wasatch Crest in cool temperatures surrounded by the brilliant colors of the changing leaves. Unfortunately, due to early mountain snowstorms, those trails seem to once again be shut down before fall even had a chance to begin. According to my count, the fall of 2007 only lasted 6 days...

6 comments:

KanyonKris said...

Yes, the last few Autumns have been bad. And you're probably tired of hearing it, but if we get a normal Fall, you'll see what we mean. I have some great memories of riding The Ridge and the trails you mentioned in the most spectacular Fall weather. Maybe next year.

But if Fall flops here, there's always south (Moab, St. George, etc.). Let's get a Moab trip together before you get too depressed. ;-)

primetime formerly known as slyfox said...

it will warm up again and the snow will melt.

i've ridden up high till mid november.

Anonymous said...

Its called MOAB -- ed

Forrest said...

Its called Summer stuck around way too freaking long, about a month too long this year and now it skipped fall altogether. Yeah blame summer, not winter.

UtRider said...

Summer didn't officialy end until September 23rd though I'll agree that it was way too hot this year.

Anonymous said...

6 days? Are you sure fall lasted that long? I'm bitter about it, but perhaps a moab trip would solve my bitterness. A group next weekend? October 26-28.