Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Making Peace with Winter


This evening, with Kris' encouragement, I extended an olive leaf to Old Man Winter and went cross country skiing up Millcreek Canyon. Given that this was my first experience with xc skis I'd have to say I did quite well. Kris, I'm sure, thought otherwise and was probably wishing he could open it up, but graciously stayed with me. I didn't fall and while my technique was lacking and my borrowed boots were too tight, I kept the skis moving forward for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Needless to say we didn't make it to the upper lot but I figured it was best to leave something for another day to ensure I returned. Also, my right foot was killing me. Tonight was also the first time I used a head lamp, also courtesy of Kris. Seeing as daylight is currently a rare commodity the thought of being able to ski after work is appealing. I can see myself doing this at least once a week.

Let me know if you have any specific recommendations as far as skis, boots, bindings and poles go. Right now I'm planning to stick with traditional cross country gear as I don't see myself doing much (if any) skiing off groomed trails.

7 comments:

Utah Mnt biker said...

Have you thought about trying snowshoeing?

KanyonKris said...

Snowshoeing is OK, but it's more like running. And I like cross country skiing for some of the same reasons I like cycling: you go faster and the downhill is fun.

UtRider said...

I've never tried snowshoes but would be interested in giving it a go. I like to hike so it seems reasonable to assume I'd like to snowshoe too.

Warren - Do you snowshoe much in the winter?

KanyonKris said...

But with the above I must disclose that I have a pair of snowshoes on order. Should arrive early next week. So I'm not anti-snowshoe - I just prefer skiing.

Utah Mnt biker said...

I tried snowshoeing once and had a blast, spent most of the time just jumping off a 10 foot rock into the powder. I've never tried XC skiing I always end up going Alpine skiing instead. Why just go fast on skis when you can go really really fast.

KanyonKris said...

No doubt alpine (downhill) skiing is fun, but it's so expensive! For a few hundred $ you can buy a full XC ski setup. You can ski for free anyplace there is snow (I've skied parks and golf courses, with permission). Groomed tracks may cost a bit. On the low end there are a few groomed trails in Park City and Snowbasin for free, Millcreek at $2.25, American Fork Canyon at $3, and Mountain Dell at $5. The nordic centers range from $9-10 for half or $14-$18 for all day. I also like the good aerobic workout I get from XC skiing - good winter cycling cross training.

Forrest said...

Its funny to hear people complain about the price of skiing or boarding, but then they kick down over 5 grand on a bike. You can get a full set up and ski for 4 years for the same price at that bike. Something to consider.