Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Getting Softer

After the new snow of the last 36 hours I had high expectations for today's session. And while it was much, much softer than it has been, I'd still classify the surface as firm. However, given the rather difficult start to the 2011-12 season we're experiencing, I'd still rate today as the best so far.

I was riding new boots (Garmont Delirium), skis (Volkl Bridge in 187), bindings (Marker Jester), and insoles (custom made by Black Diamond). My takeaway from the 2 hours I rode today: My new boots are stiff! We're talking a 130 flex rating compared to my old boots which were 80. My nice, cushy, comfortable backseat is gone. When I'm aggressive and charging the new boots are awesome. However, when my legs are burning and I start to ease up I quickly discover there's nowhere to relax. Long term I think this will be a good thing, but I'm beginning to realize that the next few weeks are going to hurt as my legs adjust to being on the throttle full time.


No comments: