Saturday, November 1, 2008

Yellow Fork

This morning marked my first - and most likely only - ride on the Yellow Fork Trail in 2008. I know most people dislike the area because of this:



Green mud aside, I have yet to encounter a group of rude, mean, offensive or impatient horseback riders. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that all have been pleasant and friendly - much nicer than many hikers I've met on the trails.

Warren and Raul joined me for a quick loop which we rode clockwise. In a nutshell the ride is a big climb followed by a big descent. There isn't a whole lot of rolling terrain - you're either going up or you're going down. I like to bypass the last section of technical (for me) singletrack and finish the climb on doubletrack:



The views from the top are nice. Here's the south end of the Salt Lake Valley:



And here's the view looking north towards the copper mine:



When we started riding at 8:30 there was only one horse trailer in the parking lot. Ours were the only other cars. At 9:45 we returned to a bustle of activity. Luckily we only saw one group of riders on the horses the entire ride. Other than a deer and a couple of chipmunks we had the trail to ourselves.

No comments: